Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Reading Journal Day 4/ The Color Purple

1/30/19


Letters 15-16 (pages 27-28)
Reflection:
At this point in the novel, Mr.___ is not in a very good place and he treats Celie with the upmost disrespect. Shug Avery is said to be in town and because of this, Mr. ___ goes out of his way to impress her with his appearance and has Celie catering to his every tedious need in the process. To see a man trying to impress a woman other than his wife and and disrespecting his wife in the preocess of doing so, it’s very confusing. Mr.___ had the mentality that women are an accessory to men and that they are meant to do all the work in the relationship. They seem to have a master to servant relationship and they lack the necessary emotional connection that a married couple is supposed to have. It’s upsetting because it makes me think that if I went through this in a marriage, I would have to end it. Eventually, Harpo develops the same mentality as his father, but he is treated like Celie when it comes to physical work and mental control. By the end of the sixteenth letter, it is possible that the mental and physical abuse symbolize control by Men in society during that time period. It is also possible that if Celie had more knowledge of the world outside of her immediate relationships, she would have the strength to know how and when to stand up for herself. I’m heartbroken at how the story is unraveling, because i keep forming these theoretical scenarios of what could have been instead of what truly is.


Day 4

Today, I was able to focus more on college and I have the foundation of a plan as to what I am going to do about college. I learned a lot about the people surround myself with and how their energy can indirectly influence me. The Color Purple has also taught me that it is important to have mental strength and an education. Overall my day was productive and I hope to continue to learn more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment